Saturday, October 11, 2008

Daily Japanese tidbits

So I took some photos of stuff in my room to share, such as Japanese money, my new phone, and my pain in the ass Monster TV HDUS.

When it comes to Japanese money, you usually won't use denominations outside of these guys. The 1000 Yen bill, and the 500, 100, 50, 10, 5, and 1 yen coins. Essentially a $10 bill a $5 coin, a $1 coin, a 50 cent coin, a dime, a nickle and a penny. In any given day I spend about 500-700 yen on food. I like to buy bread at the convenience store nearby for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner, either get a bento at the same convenience store, or eat at the campus dining hall if it's open. Also the Japanese bills are much larger than the ones we use in America.

These guys are what you use most of the time.

And this is my sweet new phone, it's already come in incredibly handy. Everyone communicates by text messaging in japan, which is much cheaper than making a phone call here, unlike the opposite situation in the U.S. Plus the company I signed to, au, has a sweet deal for students, it's free to make phone calls/messages to other students in the network. Worth it's weight in gold, this guy.

This is my MonsterTV HDUS. It's a super cool TV Tuner/recording device. It also doesn't work with English Windows. It's just taking up space. I'll probably sell it and get a Friio instead.

And this is Melon Soda. It is absolutely delicious. This and milk tea have been my beverages of choice so far while I've been here, tasty stuff.

Well I'm going off to Akihabara in a bit, and the sun has come out, so my laundry should dry off just fine. I'll bring back pictures this time, until then!

1 comment:

janeew said...

How'd your Japanese proficiency exam go?
Couldn't understand what you were talking about with the Monster tv thing, but I've got it now.
Love from the GJ Westbrooks. j